5 things we learned from File Week 2022
June 3, 2022 By Maria Church
File Week 2022 wraps today after five days of coverage on new technology and processes for the filing room, and strategies for filers to find their niche in the world of advancing automation.
Here’s a snapshot of our takeaways from the featured articles, videos and columns.
1) Old and new: Our main coverage this week was from the BC Saw Filers Association annual convention that took place in Kamloops on the weekend. From supply chain disruptions to recruiting new blood to the trade, there was a lot to cover after two years apart.
2) From the trade show floor: We shared product highlights from convention trade show, including video spotlights on Precision Machinery’s Precision Flow Management system, the Gerling Automation SawMaster automatic tip brazing machine, Iseli’s BNP200 bandsaw profile grinder, the Hammerhead 3000 all-in-one bandsaw processing centre, and Wood Fiber Group’s 3D modelling service.
3) When enough is enough: Paul smith shared a true story about a sawfiler in Texas whose decision to retire after many years hand swaging bandsaws has a lesson for all mills today about the importance of automation in retaining filers.
4) Family of filers: Our latest filing room profile story brings readers inside AM Ludwig Saw Shop in Thunder Bay where three generations of Ludwig filers are keeping saws sharp for mills across Northern Ontario.
5) Saw Filing 101: CFI saw filing columnist Paul Smith’s newest piece is all about the gullet. “Feed speed, rpms, depth of cut, chip or sawdust expansion along with tooth bite and tooth space all determine the ideal size of the gullet,” Smith writes. Read his tips and tricks for determining your gullet requirements.
CFI’s File Week landing page is a year-round hub for both sawfilers and other stakeholders to learn best practices and find the latest information on advancements in saw filing technology. Find the landing page here, or anytime on our website’s MENU tab, under Explore.
See you next year for File Week 2023!
Thanks again to our generous sponsors: Supersaul Chemmex and Petro-Canada Lubricants
Print this page