COFI launches annual convention
The Council of Forest Industries (COFI) is pleased to announce its 2013 Annual Convention. With the theme, Transformation Thru Innovation = Success!
This year’s convention is designed to bring together senior industry, service provider, customer , community leader and senior government decision makers.
“Our timing could not be better,” said John Allan, COFI President and CEO. “We have survived the recession, markets are improving and we are adding to our production new and innovative value added products. We have opportunities but also challenges ahead and the convention will highlight both.”
This year’s convention will examine new challenges in attracting and retaining the necessary skilled workforce of the future, improving forest sector safety, and how to respond to sustainable building systems changes. It will also address global economics, timber supply and the emerging bioeconomy.
The developing program of presenters includes:
- Global Macroeconomics, with Russ Taylor (President, International Wood Markets Group), Daryl Swetlishoff (Analyst, Raymond James Ltd.) and Peter Woodbridge (President, Woodbridge Associates).
- Timber Supply, with Dave Peterson (Chief Forester – Province of BC), Mark Feldinger (Senior VP, Forestry/Environment and Energy, Canfor) and Gerry Thiessen (Mayor of Vanderhoof).
- Skills and Training, with Kevin Evans (CEO, Industry Training Authority), Don Wright, (President, BC Institute of Technology), and a speaker to be announced from the solid wood sector.
- Safety, with Reynold Hert (CEO, BC Forest Safety Council), Bob Matters (Chair, Wood Council, United Steelworkers) and speakers to be announced from industry and regulatory sector.
- Effective Partnerships for the New Bioeconomy, with Ken Shields (CEO, CONIFEX), Bill Adams (Manager, Engineering and Strategic Planning, Domtar) and a speaker to be announced from the global perspective.
- Wood Products for Sustainable Building Systems – From Neighbourhoods to Nations, with Janna Foit (Architect with Perkins + Will) Wang Youwei (Executive Director, China Green Building Council) and Peter Moonen (Sustainability Coordinator, Canadian Wood Council).
- Address from Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations, Honourable Steve Thomson
The Convention will run from Thursday morning, April 4 through Friday afternoon, April 5 and includes a Thursday evening Networking Reception that will provide excellent networking opportunities for delegates to exchange views and ideas.
Visit www.cofi.org for up-to-date program, speaker information and registration.