Forests Ontario 50 Million Tree Program spring tree planting to go ahead
May 8, 2019 By Ellen Cools
The Ontario government recently announced it was cancelling Forests Ontario’s 50 Million Tree Program, but according to Natural Resources and Forestry Minister John Yakabuski tree planting will go ahead this year.
But an Ottawa-area nursery says it may need to destroy three million seedlings that are being grown for the program as a result of the program cancellation, the Toronto Star reports.
Ed Patchell of Ferguson Tree Nursery said the nursery can’t afford to keep growing millions of seedlings without buyers, which may also result in a loss of jobs.
Minister Yakabuski said Forests Ontario hopes to find private sector funding to replace the $4.7 million per year the government had been providing for the program, the Toronto Star reports.
But Green Leader Mike Schreiner told reporters that “To cut the program before (the trees) come to maturity is irresponsible, it’s reckless and does a disservice to those businesses.”
To read the full article, click here.
Print this page