"We were astounded by the accomplishments of our award winners this year," said Corey Brinkema, president of the Forest Stewardship Council US. "By building the market for FSC products, the award winners show we can conserve forests, even as we use forest products in our daily lives," he added.
Winners of the 2017 FSC Leadership Awards are as follows:
- Patagonia for developing the world's first FSC-certified Yulex natural rubber wetsuits.
- Staples for marketing more than 1,000 individual FSC-certified paper and custom furniture products.
- Procter & Gamble for making its iconic Charmin and Puffs tissue products FSC-certified.
- Wilsonart Engineered Surfaces for being the first North American laminate manufacturer to earn FSC certification.
- ARAUCO North America for investing approximately $400 million in a new FSC-certified particleboard mill in Grayling, Michigan.
- Monadnock Paper Mills for replacing over three billion PVC gift cards with recyclable FSC-certified fiber-based cards.
- Dixie Plywood and Lumber Company for more than 10 years of commitment to marketing FSC-certified building materials.
- Forest Products Laboratory, Center for Wood Anatomy Research for applying state-of-the-art forensic wood science to verify the accuracy of FSC claims.
- Center for Forest and Wood Certification at the University of Kentucky for providing technical expertise to forest managers and supply chain businesses.
- Seven Islands Land Company and Pingree Associates for its early adoption and continuous FSC certification of more than 800,000 acres.
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources for being one of the longest-standing FSC-certified forest managers in the Lake States region.
- Heron Hall, McLennan Design, and Smallwood Design and Construction for using 100 percent FSC-certified or reclaimed wood in this residential project.
- Bill Fisch Forest Stewardship and Education Centre, Regional Municipality of York, and DIALOG for using 100 percent FSC-certified wood in construction.
- Cowhorn Vineyard and Garden Tasting Room, and Green Hammer for using more than 95 percent FSC-certified wood products.
- Michael Conroy for helping to launch FSC and for two decades of commitment to the organization.
- Christopher McDonell for 20 years of work shaping responsible forest management in Canada.