Ontario bumps up forest access roads funding by $20M
May 1, 2017 - What used to be a $54 million investment in funding for the construction and maintenance of forest access roads in Ontario has been increased by $20 million.
“We’re going to stay very close to the industry because we want you to thrive and we want Ontario’s interests protected,” Premier Kathleen Wynne told a crowd at the Ontario Natural Resources forum in Toronto on April 26.
The province’s decision acted as a show of support for producers amidst a softwood lumber dispute that, so far, has no end in sight.
"The roads access is very important to all of the north because we need infrastructure to be safe and reliable," said EACOM president and chief executive officer Kevin Edgson.
“This is a day-by-day issue. You just never know what’s going to come out of the United States these days, can I put it that way?” Wynne asked the audience.
Premier Wynne noted her conversations with New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant and Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard, saying that interests are aligned between the provinces on the softwood issue.