5 things we learned during File Week 2018
May 4, 2018 - File Week 2018 wraps today after five full days of coverage focused on new technology and processes for the file room, as well as strategies for filers to continue advancing their skills. Here’s a snapshot of what we learned from the featured articles, videos and columns.
1) More filers: Our main coverage this week was from the BC Saw Filers Association annual convention and trade show that took place in Kamloops on the weekend. The show brought out 160 filers and 30 vendors, making it the largest convention of its kind in North America. The show continues to grow year after year and includes more and more filers from out of province.
2) New products: The trade show included two new product launches – Precision Machinery brought its brand-new fully automated Kaiser knife grinder and Williams & White introduced the German-manufactured Kohlbacher Shark 3000 profile grinder. Saturday’s sessions tagged on another new product, with HMT’s Corey Guindon presenting their soft launch of the Smart Track bandsaw tracking system.
3) Sawfiling students: At the convention filers were updated on the Thompson Rivers University (TRU) technical training school for sawfilers and the certification testing from ITA BC (Industry Training Authority BC). As of April 1, there were a total of 187 sawfiling apprentices registered, an encouraging sign for the future of the trade.
4) Working together: CFI’s regular sawfiling columnists Trevor Shpeley and Josh Penner were featured during the week, and both shared their latest thoughts on co-operation in the file room and at the sawmill.
5) Female filer: And new guest columnist Jaqualynn Gray closed out the week with an inspiring column about her journey as a woman into the sawfiling trade, and advice for other women considering a career in saw filing.
CFI’s File Week landing page will continue to serve as a hub for both sawfilers and other stakeholders to learn best practices and find the latest information on advancements in saw filing technology. Our landing page is live all year round, found under the tab sawmilling/File Week.
Access the landing page here, and see you next year for File Week 2019!
Canadian softwood exports fall to lowest level in five yearsOct. 17, 2018 – Worldwide trade of lumber inched up…
Survey snippet 9: Refreshing the fleetOct. 18, 2018 – Despite worrisome rates and profits margins…
National Hardwood Lumber Association elects new presidentOct. 16, 2018 – Darwin Murray of McClain Forest Products in…
WorkSafeBC launches awareness campaign about workplace impairmentOct. 16, 2018 – WorkSafeBC is launching an awareness campaign…
REMBE Explosion Safety Days 2018 - Focus on the woodhandling industry
October 23-24, 2018
OptiSaw Mill Optimization & Automation Forum
November 28, 2018
Praire Wood Solutions Conference 2018
December 11, 2018
TLA Convention & Trade Show
January 16-18, 2019