Students compete for paid internships
Oct. 29, 2013 - A contest launched by The Greenest Workforce gives students the opportunity to compete for paid internships in forestry. But interested students are running out of time to apply – applications must by in before October 31st.
Contest rules requires students to submit a resume, a photo, and a statement explaining why they would be perfect for a Green Dream Internship. Students must get the most votes for their photo and statement any way they can by November 15, 2013.
The 21st-century Canadian forest products industry requires savvy trailblazers who care about their future, the environment and quality of life. The industry is proud to be forging an innovative path to a green and growing future. To do so it needs 60,000 workers or more by 2020 to help fill a long list of jobs such as: millwrights, electricians, engineers, human resource specialists, sales staff, truck drivers, foresters, chemists, communicators and more.
With the help of the Government of Canada, the industry has launched a resource tool called TheGreenestWorkforce.ca which provides information on the industry, as well as available career opportunities on offer right now across Canada.
Voting begins November 1, 2013 ending on November 15th. The Top 7 students within each of the internship positions will be invited to interview with the host company. Winning students will be notified of their 2014 summer internship by December 2, 2013.
Students can apply for the contest by going to TheGreenestWorkforce.ca.
The 18 internships positions are:
1. Bilingual Human Resources Intern - Resolute Forest Products, Montreal, Quebec
2. Chemical Engineer – West Fraser Timber, Quesnel, British Columbia
3. Chemical Engineer or Chemical Technologist – Daishowa-Marubeni International (DMI), Peace River, Alberta
4. Chemical or Mechanical Engineer – West Fraser, Quesnel, British Columbia
5. Chemical Engineer – AV Group, Nackawic, New Brunswick
6. Chemical Engineer – AV Group, Atholville, New Brunswick
7. Electronic Engineer – Canfor Corporation, Mackenzie, British Columbia
8. Engineering Technologist or Business Commerce, Operations – Tolko Industries Ltd., Slave Lake, Alberta
9. Environmental or Chemical Engineer – Millar Western, Whitecourt, Alberta
10. Forestry Intern – Tembec, Chapleau/Timmins
11. Human Resources Intern – Tolko Industries Ltd., Vernon, British Columbia
12. Human Resources Intern – AV Group, Nackawic, New Brunswick
13. Mechanical Engineer – Canfor Corporation, Bear Lake, Prince George, British Columbia
14. Mechanical Engineer – West Fraser Timber, Cariboo Region, British Columbia
15. Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineer – Tembec, Temiscaming, Quebec
16. Timberlands Forestry Intern – Weyerhaeuser, Grande Prairie, Alberta
17. Timberlands Forestry Intern – Weyerhaeuser, Princeton, British Columbia
18. Woodlands Forestry Assistant, Operations & Roads – Millar Western, Whitecourt, Alberta