West Fraser named a Canadian Top 100 Employer
By West Fraser
By West Fraser
West Fraser is honoured to be named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2020. The largest number of employers, to date, took part in the competition. Last spring Mediacorp, the company that runs the project, examined the recruitment histories of nearly 100,000 employers from across Canada and asked 10,000 employers to apply.
“This is the seventh year we’ve been recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 employers. Our company is what it is today because of our dedicated employees,” said Ray Ferris, president and CEO. “It is our goal to constantly improve and to encourage everyone to achieve great performance. There will always be challenges, but it is how we get through them that is important. I want to thank everyone for their contribution to making West Fraser a great place to work. We should all be proud of what we achieved so far and still recognize that we have more work to do.”
Selection as a Top Employer is based on a review of the company’s operations and human resources practices. Here are some of the reasons highlighting why West Fraser was chosen:
- Community “give where you live” approach to charitable support: designating a portion of West Fraser’s pre-tax profits to charitable and community giving, with a majority of the donation dollars being distributed by mill managers who live and work in the local communities.
- Encouraging an “ownership” mentality with employees, and encouraging retirement savings through benefit programs like retirement contributions, a defined benefit pension plan and the opportunity to participate in the company’s share purchase plan.
About the award
Celebrating its 20th anniversary, Canada’s Top 100 Employers competition is an editorial project that recognizes employers with exceptional human resources programs and forward-thinking workplace policies. Editors at Mediacorp grade employers on eight criteria, which have stayed the same since the project started:
- Physical workplace
- Work atmosphere and social
- Health, financial and family benefits
- Vacation and time off
- Employee communications
- Performance management
- Training and skills development
- Community involvement