WBC Center offering short adhesive bonding courses
March 21, 2017 - Why does glue stick? What makes wood unique when it comes to gluing it together? The adhesive bonding of wood is becoming increasingly important as large timber becomes more and more scarce.
Industries are adopting new technologies to bond wood pieces into larger elements such as flat panels, structural beams, finger-jointed lumber, furniture parts, etc. Industry professionals need to learn more about wood material science and the science of wood adhesion to effectively troubleshoot wood bonding problems and adopt new technologies.
The WBC Center's 2017 short course offerings include:
1. Online Wood-based Composite Science Short Course Series
Ongoing registration for multiple self-paced modules, select the one(s) that suit your interests.
2. 14th Wood Adhesion Short Course
Dates: August 9-10, 2017
Location: Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon
Offered by the Wood-Based Composites I/UCRC since 1999.
During the course, you will learn about the:
• Basic structure of hardwoods and softwoods,
• Theories of adhesion,
• Material properties of wood,
• Impact of wood’s microstructure on adhesion,
• Common wood adhesives in use today,
• Influence of moisture on adhesion,
• Penetration and distribution of adhesives,
• Fracture and testing of bonded wood, and
• Surface properties and bonding of wood.
This short course will introduce the basic concepts of adhesion, and then build on these concepts with specific attention to wood. Upon completion of the course, participants will better understand the unique bonding characteristics of wood. They will be better prepared to analyze existing problems and performance, and evaluate new applications.
Who Should Attend:
• Persons involved with the research and development of wood adhesive and wood composite technologies.
• Individuals who manage adhesive or composite-manufacturing processes, and who wish to sharpen their knowledge of wood and wood adhesion.
• Persons seeking an introduction to wood within the context of adhesion and composite technologies.
• Adhesive suppliers who wish to improve their ability to communicate with the forest products industry.
• Persons who have had some college level chemistry, and who are comfortable with basic chemical principles.
There is a full agenda for the course posted on our website at: http://wbc.vt.edu/center/
U.S. slams Canada with preliminary softwood lumber duties up to 24%April 25, 2017 – President Donald Trump has announced the…
Forest sector will fight for jobs and communities affected by U.S. duties: FPACApril 25, 2017 - The U.S. Department of Commerce has…
Logging train accident on Vancouver Island leaves three deadUpdated: A third person was confirmed dead by RCMP after…
McBride sawmill fire cause determinedApril 25, 2017 - A fire that destroyed the entire…
BC Saw Filers Association ConventionFri Apr 28, 2017 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM
File Week 2017Mon May 01, 2017
2017 ILA Conference and Trade ShowThu May 04, 2017