Here’s a list of cancelled forestry events in North America due to coronavirus
March 13, 2020 By Maria Church
As countries, provinces and states announce new, stricter measures to contain the spread of coronavirus, known as COVID-19, a growing number of forestry events in North America have been cancelled, postponed or will be held remotely.
Here’s a list of affected events:
- Paper2020: Hosted by the American Forest & Paper Association and the National Paper Trade Association, the event slated for March 15-17 in New York City and has been cancelled.
- Montreal Wood Convention: The 2020 Montreal Wood Convention, set to take place on March 24-26, has been deferred to 2021.
- International Mass Timber Conference: The March 24-26 event in Portland, Ore., has been cancelled and the organizing team is evaluating next steps.
- SLMA & SFPA Spring Meeting: The upcoming 2020 SLMA and SFPA Spring Meeting (Southeastern Lumber Manufacturers Association and Southern Forest Products Association) in New Orleans on March 25-27 in New Orleans has been cancelled.
- Nova Scotia Forest Professionals AGM: The March 26 -27 AGM of the Registered Professional Foresters Association of Nova Scotia in Truro, N.S., has been cancelled.
- BC Indigenous Forestry Career Fairs: The BC First Nations Forestry Council’s 2020 Indigenous Forestry Career Fairs, running from March 26-April 15 in Terrace, Merritt, Chilliwack and Campbell River, B.C., have been postponed.
- COFI 2020: Western Canada’s largest forest industry gathering, the BC Council of Forest Industries’ 2020 convention in Prince George, B.C., on April 1-3 has been cancelled.
- World of Wood Convention: For the first time, the 2020 World of Wood Convention will be held as the Virtual World of Wood Convention from April 1-3.
- Canadian Woodlands Forum Spring Meeting: The annual CWF Spring Meeting, scheduled for April 1-2 in Moncton, N.B., has been cancelled.
- Atlantic Heavy Equipment Show: The road building, forestry and logging, and land improvement equipment show, scheduled for April 2-3 in Moncton, N.B., has been postponed.
- Ontario Professional Foresters Association Conference and AGM: The 2020 conference and AGM, April 7-9 in Alliston, Ont., has been postponed with new dates to be announced.
- Great Lakes Forest Health Showcase: The 1st Annual Great Lakes Forest Health Showcase in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., on April 8 has been postponed until further notice.
- NAWLA Vancouver Regional Meeting: The North American Wholesale Lumber Association’s April 9 Vancouver regional meeting has been postponed until September 2020.
- OptiSaw East: CFI‘s OptiSaw Mill Automation and Optimization Forum, scheduled to take place April 22 in Quebec City, has been postponed until fall 2020. New date to be announced soon.
- SIBO Industrial Woodworking Expo 2020: The Salon Industriel du Bois Ouvré (SIBO), slated for April 23-25 in Drummondville, Que., has been cancelled.
- PaperCon 2020: The Technical Association of the Pulp & Paper Industry has postponed the April 27-30 PaperCon 2020 conference in Atlanta, Ga., with new dates yet to be announced.
- Olympic Logging Conference: The 75th Annual Olympic Logging Conference on April 29-May 3 in Victoria has been rescheduled to Sept. 16-18.
- B.C. Saw Filer’s Association AGM and trade show: The May 1-2 2020 convention, AGM and trade show in Kamloops, B.C., has been cancelled.
- East Coast Sawmill and Logging Equipment Exposition: Expo Richmond 2020, scheduled to take place May 1-2 in Richmond, Va., has been postponed. Organizers are evaluating if a rescheduled event is possible.
- Interior Safety Conference: The May 7 Interior Safety Conference put on by the BC Forest Safety Council in Kamloops, B.C., has been cancelled.
- ILA Conference and Trade Show: The Interior Logging Association has cancelled the 2020 conference and trade show on May 7-9 in Kamloops, B.C.
- Quebec Forest Industry Congress: The Quebec Forest Industry Congress which had been scheduled for May 13-14 in Quebec, QC., has been canceled.
- WRCLA Cedar Summit: The Western Red Cedar Lumber Association’s May 13-15 Cedar Summit in Victoria has been postponed.
- Northeastern Forest Products Equipment Exposition: The annual loggers expo in Essex Junction, Vermont, May 15-16 has been postponed. New show dates are Oct. 16-17, 2020.
- FRA 2020 Annual Meeting: The FRA 2020 Annual Meeting scheduled for May 18-20, in Austin, Texas has been cancelled.
- RISI Forest Investment Conference: Fastmarkets RISI & DANA Limited has made the decision to cancel the event this year, originally scheduled for May 19-20.
- Forest Products Society International Conference: The three-day conference that was set for May 18-20 in Portland, Ore., is now scheduled for June 22-25.
- BCCFA Conference and AGM: The 2020 conference and AGM of the British Columbia Community Forest Association on May 27-29 in Nakusp, B.C., has been postponed to 2021.
- PACWEST 2020: The IBMP has cancelled this year’s conference, which was set for May 27-30 in Jasper, Alberta. PACWEST will reconvene June 2-5, 2021 in Whistler, B.C.
- Maritime Lumber Bureau Conference: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the MLB Board of Directors have decided to cancel this years June 3-4 event scheduled to take place in Halifax, NS.
- The 32nd International Mechanical Pulping Conference: The University of British Columbia was set to host this event June 7-10, 2020, but it has been postponed to 2021, with new dates yet to be announced.
- Spruce-Pine-Fir Kiln Operator Course: FPInnovations and the Maritime College of Forest Technology have postponed the Spruce-Pine-Fir Kiln Operator Course scheduled to take place June 9-11 in Fredericton. Fall dates to be determined.
- Canadian Bioeconomy Conference and Exhibition: The Board of Directors of the Canadian Bioeconomy Conference and Exhibition has decided to postpone the conference for one year due to COVID-19. It was originally scheduled for June 10-11, but will now be held in Prince George, B.C., on June 22-24, 2021.
- International Fiberboard Industry Conference and Exhibition: With concerns surrounding the coronavirus (COVID-19), Fiberboard Industry Consultancy Services has decided to postpone their June 11-12 conference in Chicago, IL., to 29-30 October, 2020.
- International Pulp Week 2020: The Pulp and Paper Products Council cancelled this year’s event, scheduled for June 14-16 in Vancouver.
- Global Softwood Log & Lumber Conference: The Forest Economic Advisors have decided to switch to a virtual conference with a live Q&A focusing on the Impacts of COVID-19 around the world on the originally scheduled date (June 17 or 18).
- FSC General Assembly: FSC’s International Board of Directors has decided to postpone the event until 2021. The event that was originally scheduled for October 11-16, 2020., will still be held in Bali, Indonesia.
- Interior lumber Manufacturers Conference: Due to fears over COVID-19, the Interior Lumber Manufacturers Conference that was originally scheduled for June 14-16, 2020., has been postponed.
- Global Buyers Mission: The Global Buyers Mission (GBM) have officially announced the postponement of the 2020 GBM previously scheduled on September 10-12 until September 9th to 11th, 2021.
- CEN-CAN Resource Expo: Due to the ongoing threat of COVID-19, the CEN-CAN Resource Expo has been postponed. Originally scheduled for Sept. 10-11 2020, the Expo will now take place from July 7-8 2021 in Thunder Bay, Ont.
- Demo International Conference & Expo: The Canadian Woodlands Forum in partnership with SBC Cedar, have decided to postpone the September 22-23 DEMO International 2020 until 2021.
- Timber Processing & Energy Expo: Hatton-Brown Expositions, LLC announces the cancellation of the Timber Processing & Energy Expo scheduled September 30 to October 2 at the Portland Exposition Center in Portland, Oregon. The next TP&EE, which is held every other year, will be held as scheduled on September 27-29, 2022.
- SFI Annual Conference: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 SFI Annual Conference originally scheduled for October 20-23, 2020., in Vancouver, BC., has been postponed until May 12-14, 2021. The event is still scheduled to take place in Vancouver, BC.
- NHLA Annual Convention & Exhibit Showcase: Due to COVID-19, the 2020 NHLA Annual Convention & Exhibit Showcase has been canceled.
- Truck Loggers Association’s Convention and Trade Show: The Annual Truck Loggers Association Convention + Trade Show takes place on January 13 – 15, 2021 in Vancouver, BC at the Westin Bayshore has been canceled due to COVID-19.
This is a working list and will be updated frequently. If you know of a postponed or cancelled conference not listed, please reach out to CFI editor Maria Church, email@example.com.
Last updated: August 13, 2020.
Print this page