Workplace Safety North announces health and safety award winners
By Workplace Safety North
Oct. 24, 2018 – Each year, Workplace Safety North (WSN), the provincial health and safety association for mining, forestry, and paper, printing, and converting sectors, recognizes Ontario workplaces with a strong safety culture.
By Workplace Safety North
“The President’s Award is our highest provincial health and safety honour, and recognizes exceptional commitment to the prevention of illness and injury, and to continuous improvement in occupational health and safety,” says Paul Andre, WSN president and CEO.
“When organizations make the health and safety of its workers top priority, they show employees, customers, and the community in general, that their values are in the right place. And people want to do business with, and work for, companies with that kind of integrity,” says Andre.
“Congratulations to all winners for your dedication to health and safety. Workplace Safety North is honoured to recognize the time and effort that goes into ensuring workers’ well-being, and creating and maintaining a healthy and safe workplace – well done!”
President’s Award winners for health and safety excellence
Mining sector: DeBeers Group of Companies, Victor Mine, James Bay Lowlands, 90 km west of Attawapiskat First Nation
Forestry sector: Brinkman and Associates Reforestation Ltd., Thunder Bay
Paper, Printing, and Converting sector and Small Business sector: Wellington Produce Packaging, Mount Forest
Northern Ontario Business: Alex MacIntyre and Associates, Kirkland Lake
Workplace Excellence Award winners
Earlier this year, 24 companies received a Workplace Excellence (WE) Award, recognizing workplace excellence in health and safety. In order to qualify for a Workplace Excellence award, companies must complete an assessment of current health and safety programs, note areas for improvement, and develop an action plan to improve their safety performance.
All submissions are considered for the President’s Award, and scoring is based on self-assessment as well as statistical performance over the past two calendar years. Top scoring firms were officially presented with the President’s Award at the September WSN annual general meeting in North Bay.
Here are the 24 companies awarded a Workplace Excellence Award:
- Alamos Gold Inc. – Young-Davidson Mine, Matachewan
- Alex MacIntyre and Associates, Kirkland Lake
- Brinkman and Associates Reforestation, Thunder Bay
- Cementation Canada, North Bay
- DeBeers Group of Companies – Victor Mine, James Bay Lowlands 90 km west of Attawapiskat
- DMC Mining Services, Vaughan
- Domtar, Dryden
- Dumas Contracting, Timmins
- Fleming’s Trucking and Logging, Hilton Beach
- Glencore – Sudbury Integrated Nickel Operations, Falconbridge
- Goldcorp – Porcupine Gold Mines, South Porcupine
- Goldcorp – Red Lake Gold Mines, Balmertown
- KGHM – Sudbury Operations, Sudbury
- Kidd Operations – Glencore Canada, Timmins
- Kirkland Lake Gold Macassa Mine, Kirkland Lake
- Lac des Iles Mine, Thunder Bay
- Nordic Minesteel Technologies, North Bay
- Redpath Canada, North Bay
- Resolute Forest Products, Thunder Bay Mill Operations
- SCR Mining and Tunnelling L.P., Val Caron
- Tahoe Canada – Lake Shore Gold Corp, Timmins
- Technica Mining, Lively
- Wallbridge Mining Company, Lively
- Wellington Produce Packaging, Mount Forest
The purpose of the WE Awards is twofold. First, companies complete an easy-to-follow assessment of their current health and safety programs, which enables them to identify areas for improvement and create an action plan. Second, the program provides external recognition to those companies actively engaged in improving health and safety performance.
Workplace Safety North President’s Award winner for Ontario paper, printing, and converting sector, and small business sector: Wellington Produce Packaging, Mount Forest; Ken Hincks (holding awards) of with WSN staff, left to right: Tom Welton, Paul Andre, and Thom Foster.
Workplace Safety North President’s Award winner for Ontario forestry sector: Brinkman and Associates Reforestation, Thunder Bay; Judi Tetro (holding award) with WSN staff, left to right: Chris Serratore and Paul Andre.
Workplace Safety North President’s Award winner for Ontario mining sector: DeBeers Group of Companies – Victor Mine, northern Ontario 90 km west of Attawapiskat; left to right: Michael Jordan (DeBeers), Sam Barbuto (WSN), Alistair Skinner (DeBeers), and Paul Andre (WSN).
Workplace Safety North President’s Award winner for Northern Ontario Business: Alex MacIntyre and Associates, Kirkland Lake; left to right: Paul Andre and Mike Parent from WSN present award to Glenn Whyte, James McDougall, and Jamie Mortson of MacIntyre and Associates.